Friday, June 8, 2007

Warm, Sunny Carping Today

I did some carping today. Explored the river that I mentioned in my last trip. It is full of carp but many of them are on the smaller side. By that I mean 2-4 pounds. I discovered this barrier dam early in the day. Standing on the cement sides I could spot maybe 20 carp lying in various spots in the pool in the slacker water. I tried to position myself to work the area but it turned out to be tougher than I expected. I ended up with only one small carp about 3 pounds.

Here is a pic of the fish. After seeing that net full and overflowing with larger carp, that little one looks kind of dwarfed.

I moved up the river to the barrier spot were I was on the last trip. The fish were still there. I hooked another about 3 pounds and released him. Other carp were visible tailing but all looked about the same size. I decided to head for the lake. The carp were working the flats and it wasn't long until I hooked up.

These fish are consistently larger than the ones in the river. It's hard to leave this place! Here's a 6 1/2 pounder that I caught.

And here's a 5 1/2. This one was a really hard fighter - more so than even the larger ones I caught.

No really big ones today. I ended up with 2 @ 3 lbs, 1 @ 5 1/2 lbs, 1 @ 6 1/2 lbs., and 2 @ 7 1/2 lbs. Had some trouble with my camera so I didn't get pics of all the fish. Got to see some new country and found a couple of spots to check out on future trips. All in all it was a good day.
z~

2 comments:

smallmouth said...

ZONKER,

I see you're still doing a number on the carp population. I'm going to tie up some of those Clouser nymphs with lead wire this weekend. My friend thinks I'm a little looney to get excited about carp. But I'll be making an effort to convert him once I get the hang of it myself. Check out my blog. I just did some work on it.

http://smallmouths.blogspot.com/

zonker said...

Smallmouth,

Great start on the blog. I'm looking forward to you great personality shining through on it from your particular fishing slant.

z~